Pleasantly bubbly and refreshing!
Monthly Archives: August 2012
I read the blog of an avid knitter and pattern maker. I found her friends and, while I haven’t done any of her patterns yet, I like getting a little bit of knitting goodness in my mailbox a couple of times a week.
And then this happened. Pattern: Eye of the storm
I have never had a three-pronged scarf before! The work is gorgeous; the pattern trick with the two cables is totally cool. I love it. Except I can’t wear wool against my neck for very long. Also, that particular yarn she uses is a bit on the pricy side. That’s not normally a big problem for me, and it’s only one ball, but still….
So I decided I would spin the yarn. I went to DBNY to get my roving on. They have some spectacular bamboo rayon right now in wonderful colors.
That is my plan. I will:
- Figure out how to spin bamboo rayon
- Figure out what diameter the yarn should be and how to approximate it
- Figure out how to introduce color changes into my spun yarn
- Produce the right amount of yarn
- Figure out how to wrangle two circular needles at the same time
- Figure out how to make the lace (eek!)
- Produce the scarf in all its lumpy and imperfect goodness!
I’m intimidated and excited. Also, I am looking forward to having a project in mind when people ask me what I’m making the yarn for. So far it’s been “Because spinning is awesome” which, sadly, confuses people.